04 March, 2008

Let's Party! Or Part-ay! Or Part-to-the-E! Break It Down!

So here's the thing.

This just amused me. I'm loading a CD onto iTunes, and while ejecting the CD I accidentally hit the Party Shuffle tab. This causes the software to create a "party mix" from the songs I have loaded onto my iPod. How does this sound for a soundtrack to a great party?

  • Vivaldi - Concerto for 2 violins, strings & continuo in A minor, I: Allegro, performed by Nigel Kennedy with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
  • He Was My Brother, Simon and Garfunkel
  • I'm Coming To Get You, from the Doctor Who soundtrack
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service, performed by the Propellerheads on the Shaken And Stirred: The David Arnold James Bond Project album (This is an album from 10 years ago, where David Arnold worked with a bunch of artists to record modern versions of classic Bond songs and themes. Apparently John Barry liked the album, and his recommendation led to Arnold scoring the last four Bond films, as well as the new one. I'm a big fan of the original OHMSS theme, but quite enjoy the Propellerheads take, which I think is one of the more successful tracks)
  • Bridge Over Troubled Water, again by Simon and Garfunkel
  • Listen to Your Heart, from the soundtrack to the "Young Frankenstein" Broadway musical (I really must load The Producers onto my iPod.)
  • Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto In E Minor, Op. 64 - 1. Andante Molto Appasionato, again performed by Nigel Kennedy, but this time with the English Chamber Orchestra (incidentally, the 3rd movement of this concerto is one of my favourite pieces of music, just astonishes me every time I hear it. Why couldn't it have been the 3rd movement the Party Shuffle randomly found, that's much more of a party piece)
  • Bootstrap's Bootstraps, from the Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl soundtrack
  • Birth of a Penguin/Opening Titles, from the Batman Returns soundtrack (love this piece, with my favourite version of the Danny Elfman Batman theme)
  • Love Theme From Twin Peaks - guess what soundtrack this is from (I might actually do a blog post sometime about Twin Peaks)
  • Hoist The Colours, from the Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End soundtrack (that was a great opening scene)
  • Can't Turn You Loose, from the Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack (the movie was awful in so many ways, but the soundtrack was pretty good)
  • The Dreams Of Trees, from The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers soundtrack (this is the complete 3-disc version of the Two Towers soundtrack)
  • I'm getting sick of Nigel Kennedy. This one is Summer in G minor, III: Presto
  • The End, from the Edward Scissorhands soundtrack (possibly Danny Elfman's best work)
  • The Streets, from the Vertigo soundtrack (I love Bernard Herrmann's work, particularly with Hitchcock and Vertigo is my favourite movie).



It's an interesting list. I only have two Nigel Kennedy albums loaded, but he appears three times. We also have two songs from the same Best of Simon and Garfunkel album, two tracks from the Pirates of the Caribbean films but no tracks from any of the six Star Wars films (or any other John Williams).

So anyway I'm having a party next Saturday night, this is what is going to be playing. Please RSVP. And yes, there will be dancing.

No comments: